Friday, November 19, 2010

Mobile Apps Dads Should TRULY Have

There are a lot of mobile apps on the market that cater to parents, and dads specifically. Alright, I admittedly have downloaded one or two of them. I've gotten my weekly baby developmental updates from the Parenting app. I've logged my son's naps into the Weissbluth app. I've even embarrassingly downloaded a "pregnancy for dads" app when my wife was still expecting (the only thing I learned from this one was that in my wife's eyes, this wasn't an acceptable substitute for reading all the pregnancy books she tossed my way).

I kind of consider myself an "app-slut" in a way. I love 'em and leave 'em in a very short period of time. As a dad, and a hard-working one at that, I have little time to keep useless icons on my phones dashboard. My mobile real estate is valuable and I always make the most of it.

After almost 6-months of parenting, I've narrowed down a handful of truly useful apps for dads to keep around for a multitude of reasons:

Comcast - I know, you're saying, "What? Comcast sucks!". But I love TV, I truly do. And because of the unpredictable nature of having a baby, I miss a lot of the shows I love. But with this app, I can program my DVR from any place and at anytime! I will never miss another game or episode of The Office.

Crock-Pot - Between my job and my wife's job, who has time to cook? But at the same time, we have a mortgage and nanny to pay for. What's the answer? The almighty crock-pot! This handy little app has thousands of great recipes I can throw together and save some serious cash...ordering out every night gets to be real pricy!

Flashlight - Do you have any idea how many times I've gone into my son's nursery in the middle of the night only to step on something and practically puncture my foot? This great little tool gives me a solid beam from the camera flash while keeping the rest of the room dark.

Family Guy - This is just plain funny! I challenge any dad (or any guy in general) to tell me he doesn't laugh at this. Giggity giggity giggity!

Ragdoll Blaster - Between the full-time job, the bottles, baths, diapers, cleaning the house, and finding time to sleep, you can always count on one time to be alone with your thoughts (and phone). Yes with fatherhood comes a new appreciation for bathroom breaks. This amazing and time consuming game lets you shoot little guys out of cannons through a plethora of mind numbing puzzles and mazes. Maybe I'll play just one more level? Yeah, I think I will.

1 comment:

  1. Weissbluth has an app? Of course he does. I'm not really an app person - probably because I don't have an iPhone and desperately need a new blackberry since my older tykes ran off with it when I went on maternity leave and I have never seen it since (have a crappy loaner from work). I did have the flashlight app on that one though!

    ReplyDelete